- Patent Opposition Database
- Médecins Sans Frontières Access Campaign
- Create an online resource and open platform to educate and aid people challenging unfair patents on essential medicines with the goal of making life-saving medicines accessible and affordable for people who need them.
- Creative Strategy/Consulting
- A responsive website.
- A custom-built CMS written in Ruby on Rails, including a specialized approval system for user-submitted content.
Millions of people around the world struggle to get the medicines they need to stay alive. One of the major reasons for this is the high price of drugs. These high prices are in part driven by patents, which can prevent the production of generic, affordable versions of key medicines. And, although we often think of patents as protectors of innovation, not all patents have been created and granted equally.
MSF approached Crush to create a central database for the hard-working people around the world fighting unjustified patents to share resources, best practices, and documentation. Previously, the work was being shared through informal networks of individuals with information sitting on personal computers, hard drives, and attachment-laden email accounts. MSF knew there was room for improvement, and that with any improvements would come rewards to people desperately seeking affordable medicine.
Since launching, hundreds of documents from organizations and individuals in India, Thailand, Brazil, Argentina, the US, and more have been uploaded. And ongoing efforts by these people have led to the successful opposition of key unjustified patents.
In 2014, Crush will be extending the platform to further help the international effort to get much needed medication to people in need.